All-American Syracuse Goalie and NCAA Referee – Matt Palumb – LGR Episode 31
You may know the name Matt Palumb from officiating college lacrosse. Other may know him for his signature orange Syracuse football pants.
He won 3 national championships as Syracuse University’s starting lacrosse goalie. He earned All-America honors and universal praise as one of the best goalies of his generation. His teammates described him as “a big personality,” full of fast-twitch energy and emotion.
This week Matt Palumb joins me to discuss his history of becoming a great goalie.
In this chat with Matt Palumb, we hit on a number of great goalie topics including:
- How he got started playing goalie
- Who he learned the position from
- How he’s seen the goalie position morph since the 80’s
- The story of the Syracuse football pants
- Why he thinks goalies should get more protected
- How he coaches goalies
- His take on the dive becoming legal in the NCAA
- His approach to mental toughness
- And much more….
Weapons of Choice
- The Lax Goalie Rat Camp – The premier online camp for coaching lacrosse goalies. Everything you need to learn this position and take your goalie to the next level physically, mentally, and technically.
Subscribe to the Lax Goalie Rat Podcast